Where’s Waldo? In Rutland, of course! The iconic children’s book character in the striped shirt and black-rimmed specs is visiting twenty-five local businesses throughout our community this July. Find Waldo Local is a great summer vacation activity and a wonderful way to support local businesses and the Shop Local movement in our community, including these partners:
- Boys and Girls Club, 71 Merchants Row
- Timco Jewelers, 59 Center Street
- Rutland Optical, 28 Center Street
- Wonderfeet Kids Museum, 11 Center Street
- Rutland Area Food Co-op, 77 Wales Street
- Handcarved by Ernie, 26 Center Street
- Frogs and Lily Pads, 25 Center Street
- Vermont Truffle Company, 37 Center Street
- Bookmobile, 17 Center Street
- Fruition, 56 Merchants Row
- Rutland Chamber of Commerce, 50 Merchants Row
- The Bakery, 122 West Street
- Pyramid Holistic Wellness Center, 120 Merchants Row
- Clay's, 67 Merchants Row
- Raw Honey Apparel, 5 Center Street
- McNeil & Reedy, 81 Merchants Row
- Castleton Downtown Gallery, 104 Merchants Row
- Avanti Unisex Hair Salon, 52 Center Street
- Rutland Free Library, 10 Court Street
- Col Cycling, 32 Merchants Row
- Home Alternatives by Kindred Spirit, 116 West St.
- Same Sun, 24 Center St.
- Black Moon Games, 7 Evelyn St.
- Speakeasy Cafe, 67 Center St.
- ...and, of course, Phoenix Books Rutland, 2 Center Street
Anyone who wishes to participate can pick up a “Find Waldo Local in Rutland!” passport, which contains the names of all the participating sites, and get their passport stamped or signed for each Waldo they spot. Collecting store stamps or signatures at twenty or more businesses will entitle diligent seekers entry into a grand-prize drawing on July 30, with the top prize being a six-volume deluxe set of Waldo books.
This year marks the thirtieth anniversary of the Where’s Waldo? books. Martin Handford’s collections of crowd scenes swept the world in the late eighties, and since then have held a cherished spot on bookstore shelves the world over. There are now over 67 million Waldo books in print worldwide, and they’ve been translated into over thirty languages. An entire generation has grown up searching for Waldo and his cast of wandering companions. To celebrate such a special milestone, Waldo’s friend Wenda will also be hiding in Phoenix Books Rutland! Participants of Find Waldo Local will have double the fun searching for both Waldo and Wenda all month long.
Once again, in celebration of Waldo’s longevity and popularity, his American publisher, Candlewick Press, is teaming up with the American Booksellers Association and two hundred and fifty independent bookstores across the country for some hide-and-seek fun to encourage communities to patronize their local businesses. There is no charge to participate, and the hunt lasts for the entire month of July.