Where’s Waldo? In Essex, of course! The famous children’s book character in the striped shirt and black-rimmed specs is visiting local businesses throughout our community this July. Find Waldo in Essex is a great summer vacation activity and a wonderful way to support local businesses and the Shop Local movement in our community, including these partners:
- Ace Hardware, 15 Essex Way (Essex Shoppes)
- Boho Baby, 43 Upper Main Street (The Barns at Lang Farm)
- Cody's Irish Pub and Grille, 4 Carmichael Street
- The Dog & Cat, 4 Carmichael Street
- Dunkin Donuts, 2 Carmichael Street
- Full Circle Gardens, 68 Brigham Hill Road
- Mimmo's, 4 Carmichael Street
- Modern Bliss Salon, 4 Carmichael Street
- My Little Cupcake, 4 Carmichael Street
- Peace of Mind Pilates, 4 Carmichael Street
- Purple Sage Salon, 21 Essex Way (Essex Shoppes)
- Sweet Alchemy Bakery & Cafe, 45 Upper Main Street (The Barns at Lang Farm)
- Sweet Clover Market, 21 Essex Way (Essex Shoppes)
- Turner Toys & Hobbies, 21 Essex Way (Essex Shoppes)
- UPS Store, 4 Carmichael Street
- ...and, of course, Phoenix Books Essex!
Anyone who wishes to participate can pick up a “Find Waldo Local in Essex!” passport, which contains the names of all the participating sites, and get their passport stamped or signed for each Waldo they spot. And to make things a little more challenging, Waldo and his friends have each dropped a precious item in Phoenix Books Essex. These items can be spotted as well. Collecting store stamps or signatures at ten or more businesses will entitle diligent seekers entry into a grand-prize drawing on July 31, with the top prize being an eight-volume set of Waldo books.
Martin Handford’s collections of crowd scenes took the world by storm in the late 1980s, and since then they have held a cherished spot on bookstore shelves. There are now over 70 million Waldo books in print worldwide, and they’ve been translated into over thirty-one languages. An entire generation has grown up searching for Waldo. Participants of Find Waldo Local will have the added fun of searching for items dropped by Waldo’s intrepid traveling companions: Wenda, Woof, Wizard Whitebeard, and Odlaw.
Once again, in celebration of Waldo’s longevity and popularity, his American publisher, Candlewick Press, is teaming up with the American Booksellers Association and two hundred and fifty independent bookstores across the country for some hide-and-seek fun to encourage communities to patronize their local businesses. There is no charge to participate, and the hunt lasts for the entire month of July. For more information about hunting for Waldo in Essex, stop by Phoenix Books Essex at 2 Carmichael Street or give us a call at 802-872-7111.