Thank you for your interest in working at Phoenix Books! We are currently hiring at our Essex location.
Position: Part time Bookseller (20+ hours)
Job Overview: Do you have a passion for books AND excellent customer service? Phoenix Books Essex, an independent bookstore in Essex, Vermont, is looking for a frontline bookseller to join our friendly, knowledgeable, and professional team. Frontline booksellers are the first point of contact for our customers. They create a welcoming environment on the store floor and are comfortable talking about and handselling a range of books and gifts for people of all ages.
The ideal candidate is a fast learner, has an eye for visual merchandising, and is organized and detail oriented. The ability to prioritize and juggle multiple tasks is key for success in this position. A flexible schedule and the ability to work during store open hours is essential, including regular evening and weekend shifts.
Phoenix Books benefits for employees include paid sick time and vacation, flexible scheduling, and generous staff discount.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Ensuring that all customers, whether in store, over the phone, or online, have a positive and safe shopping experience
- Offering reading recommendations to customers of all ages and reading levels in-store and over the phone; researching titles for customers
- Operating our cash registers efficiently and accurately
- Maintaining a clean, safe, and comfortable store environment, including sales floor, back rooms, and front entrance
- Creating and maintaining displays; organizing books and gift merchandise; shelving
- Receiving and returning shipments; maintaining an accurate physical inventory
- Processing online orders for curbside pickup
- Writing book reviews for the website, shelf talkers, and newsletters, and suggesting store social media content
Skills and Qualifications
- 2+ years bookstore or other retail/customer service experience strongly preferred
- Welcoming of all and enjoys working with people—both team members and customers
- Comfortable learning and working with a variety of software, including point of sale/inventory control system, ecommerce and shipping programs, MS Office/Google Suite.
- Strong knowledge of and passion for books
- Able to communicate clearly and efficiently in person, over the phone, and in writing
- Excellent problem solver
- Flexibility and willingness to work in a fast-paced retail environment
Founded on the principles of community, localism, and social responsibility, Phoenix Books has three locations across Vermont, including Essex, Burlington, and Rutland. Since 2007, Phoenix Books Essex has proudly served our local community by providing a wide selection of frontlist, backlist, and bargain books, as well as stationery, gifts, and toys.
Please email completed application and a letter of interest to email@example.com.