Thank you for your interest in working at Phoenix Books!
We are currently looking for booksellers for our Burlington, Vermont location.
Phoenix Books sells new, frontlist books, fulfilling the need for a locally-owned, independent bookstore that nurtures readers of all ages.
About being a bookseller:
A bookseller has an enthusiastic love for books and the ability and drive to share that enthusiasm with our fabulous customers. Comfort with computers and software is an absolute must! When you're not recommending books and ringing customers at the register, you will be: shelving and alphabetizing books, calling customers for their special orders, reading story time to young readers, creating unique and attractive displays, dusting, vacuuming, moving bookcases and setting up chairs for special events, as well as helping to load and unload heavy (35-50 lbs) boxes for our pop-up bookstore events. Retail experience is preferred, but not required.
- Exceptional customer service. You consistently take initiative to ensure customer satisfaction by making recommendations, finding and obtaining books not in stock, troubleshooting problems with a positive outcome and a calm demeanor.
- Excellent communication skills. You will effectively communicate with both our customers and our bookselling team.
- Attention to detail. You are thorough in all fundamental responsibilities including cash register functions, book searches, special orders, shelving, and maintenance of store appearance.
- Accuracy. You will manage inventory and perform point-of-sale tasks with great accuracy.
- Use of computers. You are comfortable and have skill with computers and changing technologies.
- Teamwork. You have the ability and drive to work effectively both in a group and independently and ask for help when needed.
- Industry knowledge. You will use publishing and book industry tools to keep up to date about new titles and merchandise.
- Initiative. You will anticipate our customers' needs and contribute new ideas for the betterment of the store and our team.
- Visual merchandising. You will make the store look clean and beautiful to keep books and non-book merchandise appealing to customers.
- Prioritization. The ability to balance multiple tasks on an ongoing basis while staying calm and collected.
- Cleaning. You will help maintain the cleanliness of the entire store, both on and off the sales floor.
- Some lifting. We regularly lift boxes up to 35 pounds.