Phoenix Books sells new, frontlist books, fulfilling the need for a locally-owned, independent bookstore that nurtures readers of all ages.
We are seeking year-round part-time booksellers. The ideal candidate has an enthusiastic love for books and the ability to share that enthusiasm with our fabulous customers. Comfort with computers and software is an absolute must! When you're not recommending books and ringing customers at the register, you might be: shelving and alphabetizing books, calling customers for their special orders, reading story time to young readers, creating unique and attractive displays, dusting, vacuuming, moving bookcases and setting up chairs for special events, as well as helping to load and unload heavy (35-50 lbs) boxes for our pop-up bookstore events.
- Exceptional customer service: take initiative to ensure customer satisfaction by making recommendations, finding and obtaining books not in stock, troubleshooting problems with a positive outcome and a calm demeanor
- Excellent communication skills: effectively communicate with both our customers and our bookselling team
- Attention to detail: thoroughness in all fundamental responsibilities including cash register functions, book searches, special orders, shelving, and maintenance of store appearance
- Accuracy: manage inventory and perform point-of-sale tasks with great accuracy
- Use of computers: be comfortable and have skill with computers and changing technologies
- Teamwork: ability to work effectively both in a group and independently and ask for help when needed
- Industry knowledge: use publishing and book industry tools to keep up to date about new titles and merchandise
- Initiative: anticipate our customers' needs and contribute new ideas for the betterment of the store and our team
- Visual merchandising: make the store look clean and beautiful to keep books and merchandise appealing to customers
- Prioritization: ability to balance multiple tasks on an ongoing basis while staying calm and collected
- Maintain the cleanliness of the store
- Ability to lift up to 35 pounds