Where's Waldo? In Burlington and Essex, of course. The famous children’s book character in the striped shirt and black-rimmed specs is visiting over thirty different local businesses throughout our community this July. Those who spot him can win prizes, including stickers, book coupons and more. From City Market to the Fletcher Free Library, from Outdoor Gear Exchange to Global Pathways, Waldo figures will be well hidden in downtown Burlington business establishments, as well as in businesses in and around Essex Shoppes & Cinema in Essex, Vermont. Find Waldo is a great summer vacation activity, and a wonderful way for residents to support local business and the Shop Local movement.
Anyone who wishes to participate can pick up a “Find Waldo Local in Burlington and Essex!” passport with the names of all the participating sites, and get their passport stamped or signed for each Waldo they spot. The first 100 Waldo seekers to get their passports stamped or signed at ten or more sites can bring their passports back to Phoenix Books Burlington or Phoenix Books Essex to collect prizes. Collecting store stamps or signatures at twenty or more businesses will entitle diligent seekers to entry in a grand prize drawing on July 31, with the top prize being a 6-volume deluxe set of Waldo books. (Must be present to win.)
Here's the complete list of businesses taking part!
- Vermont Violins, 23 Church Street, Burlington
- Apple Mountain, 30 Church Street, Burlington
- Outdoor Gear Exchange, 37 Church Street, Burlington
- Uncommon Grounds, 42 Church Street, Burlington
- Catamount Store, 46 Church Street, Burlington
- Jim's Sports, Burlington Town Center Mall, 49 Church Street, Burlington
- Pompanoosuc Mills, 50 Church Street, Burlington
- Homeport, 52 Church Street, Burlington
- Zinnia, 57 Church Street, Burlington
- Vermont Butcher Block, 63 Church Street, Burlington
- Kiss the Cook, 72 Church Street, Burlington
- Sweet Thing, 101 Church Street, Burlington
- Optical Center, 107 Church Street Burlington
- Tradewinds, 110 Church Street, Burlington
- Danforth Pewter, 111 Church Street, Burlington
- Global Pathways, 126 Church Street, Burlington
- Bennington Potters North, 127 College Street, Burlington
- Boutiliers, 194 College Street, Burlington
- Vermont Farm Table, 206 College Street, Burlington
- My Little Cupcake, 217 College Street, Burlington
- Fletcher Free Library, 235 College Street, Burlington
- City Market, 82 S. Winooski Avenue, Burlington
- Patagonia Burlington, 157 Bank Street, Burlington
- Burlington Records, 170 Bank Street, Burlington
- ...and, of course, Phoenix Books Burlington at 191 Bank Street, Burlington
- The UPS Store, 4 Carmichael Street, Essex
- The Dog & Cat, 4 Carmichael Street, Essex
- Dragonfly Treasures, 4 Carmichael Street, Essex
- Mimmo's, 4 Carmichael Street, Essex
- Centerpiece Florist, Essex Shoppes & Cinema, Essex
- Hammerfit, Essex Shoppes & Cinema, Essex
- Essex Cinema, Essex Shoppes & Cinema, Essex
- Sweet Clover Market, Essex Shoppes & Cinema, Essex
- ...and, of course, Phoenix Books Essex at Essex Shoppes & Cinema, Essex!
Want to see how easy and fun it can be to collect your stamps and signatures? Explore this map. You can zoom in on Burlington or Essex.
View Find Waldo in Burlington & Essex 2013!
in a larger map
Where’s Waldo is the creation of Martin Handford, whose entertaining drawings of crowd scenes swept the world in 1987. Since then, the Where’s Waldo books have held a cherished spot on bookstore shelves the world over. There are now over 58 million Waldo books in print worldwide and they’ve been translated into eighteen languages. An entire generation has grown up searching for Waldo and his cast of wandering companions.
In celebration of Waldo's longevity and popularity, his American publisher, Candlewick Press, is once again teaming up with the American Booksellers Association and 265 independent bookstores all across the country, including Phoenix Books Burlington here in downtown Burlington and Phoenix Books Essex in Essex Shoppes & Cinema, for some hide and seek fun as well as to encourage communities to patronize their local businesses. There is no charge to participate, and the hunt lasts for the entire month of July. For more information about hunting for Waldo in Burlington, call Phoenix Books Burlington at 802-448-3350 or Phoenix Books Essex at 802-872-7111.