We love our customers and communities at Phoenix Books Essex, Burlington, and Rutland. We support other local stores, local authors, and local artists. By reading on, you can find out more about what we do in the community and what you support every time you shop at Phoenix Books. If you're already a Phoenix customer, thank you! If you're new to Phoenix Books, we hope to see you in person soon. Either way, we'd love to help you find your next great read or great gift(s) for even the most challenging folks on your list!
When You Choose to Shop at Phoenix:
The money you spend here stays here. For every $100 you spend at a local business, $68 will stay in the community. What happens when you spend that same $100 at a national chain? Only $43 stays in the community. Here are some of the local businesses and individuals whose products we carry at Phoenix Books:
- Onion River Press: is a small, locally owned, independent, print-on-demand publisher born from Phoenix Books in Vermont.
- Danforth: Fine pewter handcrafted in Vermont.
- US Sherpa: functional, natural fiber products, handcrafted in Nepal for the active, caring, and outdoor lifestyle.
- Local Authors: From picture books to poetry, from Oprah picks to small-press gems.
- Inner Traditions: a publisher based in Rochester, Vermont
- Green Writers Press: West Brattleboro, Vermont
- Tuttle Publishing: North Clarendon, Vermont
- Rootstock Publishing: Montpelier, Vermont
- Choose Your Own Adventure: North Central, Vermont
2. You Help the Environment
From our interior design choices to our books on sustainable living, Phoenix owners and staff strive to make environmentally responsible choices.
3. You Embrace What Makes Us Unique
Vermont is a state of small, distinct communities. Preserving our main street businesses makes our small towns home. In an increasingly homogenized world, the local character is linked to prosperity. National chain businesses can dilute the character of our towns.
4. You Create and Keep Good Jobs
Small local businesses employ the largest number of people nationally, and small businesses account for the vast majority of job growth. Locally owned businesses are far less likely to pull up stakes and move operations to another state or country - taking the jobs with them.
5. You Nurture the Community
We know you, and you know us. Studies have shown that local businesses donate to community causes at a significantly higher rate. Phoenix Books contributes to fundraisers for local schools, libraries, and charitable organizations. Here are some of the organizations we've donated to in the last couple of years:
- AD Lawton School Parents as Partners
- Brownell Library
- Building Bright Futures
- Essex Area Senior Center
- Essex High School End-of-Year Event
- Essex High School We the People
- Essex Historical Society
- Fairfax Library
- Flynn Center Home and Garden Auction
- Founders Memorial School
- Friend Chips Youth Mentoring
- Friends of the Essex Free Library
- Girl on the Run
- Jericho Elementary School
- Lake Champlain Chamber of Commerce
- Mt. Mansfield Friends of Football
- Partners in Adventure
- Project Grad
- Saint Francis Xavier School PTO
- Saxon Hill School
- Teacher Appreciation
- Travis Roy Foundation
- Underhill Central School
- Underhill ID School PTO
- VT Association for the Blind/Visually Impaired
- VT Kin as Parents
- Westford Turkey Trot
- Williston Families as Partners
- UVMMC For Nurse Appreciation Day
6. You Conserve Your Tax Dollars
Local businesses in small towns need comparatively less infrastructure investment and make efficient use of public services.
7. You Promote Competition and Diversity
A multitude of small businesses, each selecting products based on the needs of their local customers (and not on a national sales plan), guarantees a much broader and appropriate range of product choices and ensures innovation and low prices over the long term.
8. You Take Advantage of Our Expertise
Each and every member of Phoenix's staff is passionate about books, and our community. We are always happy to make individualized recommendations, whether you're looking for a great read for yourself or as a gift.
9. You Invest in The Community
Local businesses like Phoenix are owned by people who live here, work here, and are invested in the community - with much more than just their dollars. Local owners see and feel the impacts of their business decisions.